The e-commerce market is getting bigger and bigger. During the last years, more and more stationary have decided to go online. The key to gaining customer interest is the presence in several online markets. Do you sell clothes in your online store? Great! But who said you couldn’t put them on Zalando either?
The e-commerce market in Germany is one of the largest in the world. Around 75% of German companies work mainly via e-commerce channels. That is why you should get to know better the biggest e-commerce marketplaces in Germany. You don’t have to join them immediately. It is crucial to observe the activities of the largest in the industry. You can learn a lot in this way.
Since online marketplaces are becoming very popular in Germany, you should pay attention to price comparison platforms andcost using bill of material software. If e-commerce cooperates with such a website, it makes shopping much easier for the customer. When he finds out where prices are most favorable, he can make a purchase immediately from this website.
Why do retailers implement online marketplaces?
- Online channels allow reaching a large number of customers in a short time. They offer ready to use base on customers who are looking for specific products.
- By entering online marketplaces, a company can release more than one product at a time. This will give more choice to customers, which will bring more interest to the company and a bigger income.
- Many marketplaces offer the option of notifying when the product is available again. It is much more convenient for the customer than visiting the local store from time to time. Thanks to newsletters, in which the company’s products may appear, the company will receive an additional promotion.
Examples of online marketplaces
We are living at a time when we move most parts of our lives to the Internet. A company that wants to reach as many customers as possible must appear on at least one of the online marketplaces.
There are a few methodologies we could recognize:
- vertical marketplaces, dedicated to only one category of products or services: Airbnb for rentals or Bolt for transport
- horizontal marketplaces, dedicated to multiple categories, for example Idealo or Amazon
- product marketplaces, dedicated to offering physical products
- virtual marketplaces, dedicated to offering virtual products (e.g. for gamers, virtual currency or virtual assets)
- service marketplaces, dedicated to offering services
- hybrid marketplaces, dedicated to offering both products and services
- niche marketplaces, covering only a small part of the market
We have prepared for you a list of the most popular ones in Germany.
Fasten your seatbelt!
Kaufland.de is a combination of high brand awareness and state-of-the-art platform technology
Kaufland.de is one of the biggest and fastest growing marketplaces in Germany! Being part of the Schwarz Group, Kaufland.de belongs to one of Europe’s biggest retailers!
In 2023, Kaufland will open further online marketplaces in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.This step is the underlying foundation for the launch of the ‘Kaufland Global Marketplace’.
With just one registration sellers can sell on many country-specific marketplaces with one registration.
Over 8000 sellers offer more than 40 million products in over 5000 categories on Kaufland Global Marketplace. This attracts 32 million visitors to Kaufland.de every month.
The well-known sales platform is also available in Germany.
We do not need to introduce Amazon. With one account on Amazon.de, you can sell your products abroad, but you will receive payment in your currency. Amazon also offers its warehouses if you don’t care about total shipping control. If you prefer to keep your finger on the pulse, you can easily send packages yourself. To start selling on Amazon, you must first create an account as a seller and choose a plan – Basic or Pro. Upload your products’ catalog and create a list from it. Finally, you need to encourage the customer – create creative descriptions of your products and enjoy the possibilities offered by Amazon.de.
OTTO is the second-largest e-commerce in Germany, after Amazon.
OTTO is a giant in the fashion and lifestyle industry – it is visited by thousands of users every day. If you are looking for a large audience and marketplace that cares for the environment – OTTO is a place for you. It has a strong sustainability policy and requires the same from its partners. Thanks to this, the customer can have a sense of ethical shopping. The factories in which OTTO manufactures work in full respect for both employees and the environment. Unfortunately, it is still rare to see such large enterprises care for sustainable development. OTTO should be an example to other businesses on how to run it ethically.
Yatego is often called an online shopping mall.
Yatego offers over 10,000 online stores. You will find here retailers from many industries: from children’s accessories to furniture and car accessories. By creating an account on Yatego you will not only get access to a huge customer base but also the support of a personal adviser for the first 4 weeks. You can also link your Yatego account directly to your own online store.
Heaven for manufacturers.
Etsy is a place for handicraft manufacturers or sellers from all around the world. If you create jewelry, paint, or make furniture, you’ll find your customers here. Etsy charges a commission of 20 cents for each item and 3.5% for each transaction.
One of the well-known tourism platform.
Booking.com is an online marketplace of the tourism industry. The world-famous travel platform connects travel lovers to hotels and hosts from all around the world. If you are the owner of a hotel or you offer apartments for rent you should set up an account. Thanks to this platform, your offer will have a chance to reach more tourists visiting your region. Booking charges a commission on completed stays and non-returnable ones.
World-famous fashion online marketplace.
With Zalando, you can access clients from 15 countries. You will find over 2,000 brands there and you can become one of them provided you offer clothing, footwear, products falling into the category of sport or accessories. Regardless of whether you own a business or sell individually, Zalando is open to cooperation. Remember, however, that the platform does not cooperate with sellers who do not offer free shipping and returns.
eBay is a pioneer in e-commerce.
eBay is also a well-known marketplace for all who buy online. Currently, it operates in over 20 countries, thus enabling sales transactions around the world. On eBay, you can find a variety of products – from cosmetics to washing machines. No matter what industry you work in, you’ll fit on eBay.
eBay for both new and used items.
On eBay Kleinanzeigen you can find many things both new and used. It is the eighth largest site in Germany. Everyone who is interested in buying or selling should look at eBay Kleinanzeigen. Many product categories offer a lot of possibilities. You will find here, for example, laptops, clothes, garden items, and even cars or houses.
Social media marketplaces
Let’s face it, social media attracts the most people. We spend around 2 hours scrolling down all news and drama on SM. That is why you should use this attention in your favor.
- Since Instagram introduced us to the possibility of shopping directly from the app, it has become an essential place for online shopping lovers. That’s why you should set up a business account and start selling your products through Instagram. Don’t forget about IG Stories. 62% of people claim that they are more interested in the product after seeing it in Stories.
- Facebook also provided us with the option to sell with it. You can connect your store with a Facebook page and make shopping easier for your customers. If you don’t want to sell through social media, use Facebook as a “link” between your customers and your products. Create a fan page or group where customers will be able to share reviews or ask questions.
- Pinterest – it may not be a trendy marketplace, but it’s worth mentioning here. Many people look for inspiration on Pinterest. So why not use this interest to your advantage? If you are in the fashion industry, interior design, or architecture, you can try yourself on Pinterest. Just make a beautiful and aesthetic picture and use the business option provided by Pinterest, i.e. Shop The Look. You can tag your products on the image, and the customer will be in the checkout with two clicks.
Online marketplace for music makers.
Thomann is a place for those who love music. You can find here instruments, studio equipment and lighting here. Everything you need to create music and perform professionally. Thomann serves many countries, eg. Germany, Poland, Belgium, and Denmark. Regardless of the country, prices are given in euros.
Electronic and technology online marketplace.
MediaMarkt is a German store that has been on the market for almost 40 years! When it succeeded outside the country, MadiaMarkt decided to take over the e-commerce world. On this marketplace, you can find electronic stuff: home cinemas, coffee machines, dishwashers, or games. It is the world’s second electronic e-commerce store in the world.
Technology online marketplace, similar to MediaMarkt.
Saturn is another example of the technology industry. It belongs to the MediaMarktSaturn Retail Group which makes it the younger brother of MediaMarkt. On average, their site is visited by over 20 and a half million users per month. Worth visiting if a customer is looking for new headphones or an Xbox. If you offer some technology items, you should be on this marketplace.
Hood.de may be called a lifestyle Zalando.
On this marketplace, you can link your store website, manage inventory and customer data. Hood.de also gives you the opportunity to connect to Google Shopping and PayPal. If you are thinking about joining Hood.de, you have two plans to choose from: basic and professional. In the first one, a commission is between 5 and 8% while in professional from 3 to 7%. In a basic plan, you can offer your customers 500 products, max eight photos to each. While in professional 20,000 items and 16 pics with the possibility of zooming.
Idealo is not only an e-commerce platform but also a price comparison website.
The customer can compare prices and make some purchase in one place. Idealo provides you with a variety of items. You can find here products from various departments: cosmetics, home and garden, food and many, many more. All above makes Idealo one of the largest on the most comprehensive e-commerce platforms. In addition to Germany, it is available in France, Poland, Great Britain, Spain, Italy, and Austria.
Lidl is a well known in Europe and United States supermarket chain.
Lidl offers groceries and household products. It is not only a giant in the case of brick and mortar. Its e-commerce performance is also promising. Thanks to this online marketplace customers across the country can do grocery shopping without stepping out of the house.
Airbnb can be seen as an alternative to Booking.com.
Airbnb is a tourism marketplace mainly for private hosts who want to provide an apartment or room for a short stay. This platform is available worldwide. The service charge is 3% (in China 10%). To make hosts feel safe, Airbnb provides $ 1 million in insurance coverage.
Online marketplace where you can find a vehicle.
Mobile.de is a German marketplace for both consumers and companies. On this platform, you can sell and buy used or new cars, motorcycles, and even caravans. Companies can also find vehicles useful for larger transports here. In addition to finding the right car, you can also search for the insurer offers here or financial plan.
OnBuy is B2C where sellers can offer new or used products.
OnBuy is a good place where you can sell to over 8 million customers.. On OnBuy you can find many products, thanks to the multitude of categories, it’s easy to search for them. One customer can buy several items from several different sellers in one transaction. This is an extremely convenient option. OnBuy works with PayPal, so if you want to sell on this online marketplace, you must be ready for it.
- 600% year-on-year growthfor the past 3 years in a row
- 35 million products
- 8m+ customers
- Expansion into over 140 countriesby year-end 2023 underway
Fruugo is available in 32 countries, and sellers can sell to all of them.
There are available payments in up to 22 currencies! The cooperation of this online marketplace is based on the principle of no sale, no fee. This is very fair and facilitates sales to fresh retailers. Fruugo also offers support in currency exchange and customer service.
ASOS is one of the e-commerce giants in the fashion industry.
It supplies products to over 140 countries around the world. Every week there are added up to 7000 new items. Who can sell products on ASOS? Young designers or salespeople who are familiar with trends. ASOS also has a mobile application. This app, based on a photo sent by the user matches the products available on ASOS. Sometimes technology may astonish, huh? The fact is – it is definitely worth selling on ASOS.
Online marketplace – give it a try!
Now you know why you should implement an online marketplace and have several examples. For sure, online marketplaces give many opportunities for businesses from most industries. Here you have a simple guidebook – we have shown you which marketplace you should pay attention to. And on which you should appear if you want to squeeze the best of e-commerce.
What is the most popular ecommerce platform in Germany? ›
2.3) Amazon Ecommerce Platform In Germany
Amazon.de is the industry leader in Germany, with e-commerce net sales of US$ 16,836 million expected in 2022 with estimated monthly traffic of 434.5 million visits.
- Business-to-business (B2B)
- Business-to-consumer (B2C)
- Consumer-to-consumer (C2C), sometimes called peer-to-peer (P2P)
- Mercado Libre.
- Alibaba / Taobao / Tmall.
It's estimated that by 2025 world online shopping could exceed $7 trillion, and it will account for almost one quarter (23.6%) of all consumer spending on earth. We are well acquainted with the likes of Amazon, eBay, Rakuten, and Alibaba – the giants of online retail – but who are the rising stars?What is the most popular store in Germany? ›
|2||Schwarz (Lidl & Kaufland)||45,300|
|4||Aldi (Nord & Süd)||28,600|
Online shopping is omnipresent and part of our everyday life in Germany. 94 percent of all Internet users shop online which equals about 55 million German citizens.What are the four 4 types of e-marketplaces? ›
- Independent e-marketplace. An independent e-marketplace is usually a business-to-business online platform operated by a third party which is open to buyers or sellers in a particular industry. ...
- Buyer-oriented e-marketplace. ...
- Supplier-oriented e-marketplace. ...
- Vertical and horizontal e-marketplaces.
- Business-to-business marketplaces. A B2B marketplace connects organizations (consumers) with other businesses (vendors), for instance, retailers, wholesalers, or manufacturers to purchase from them. ...
- Business-to-consumer marketplaces. ...
- Peer-to-peer marketplaces.
A peer-to-peer marketplace is one of the most popular e-commerce development trends. It's a two-sided marketplace where individuals that provide products or services meet potential clients or customers. The platform eliminates the distance between them, and any user can play both roles.What is the easiest marketplace to sell on? ›
- Shopify. Shopify is the easiest and most reputable way to create your own store. ...
- Amazon. ...
- eBay. ...
- Handshake. ...
- Bonanza. ...
- Ruby Lane. ...
- Etsy. ...
What is the biggest online marketplace? ›
Amazon.com is the most visited e-commerce marketplace, with an average of over 2.3 billion visits per month. If you merge the visits to the biggest Amazon domains, the visits are almost 5 billion per month. It is not surprising to see Amazon and eBay among the top three; eBay receives 1.2 billion visits per month.Who is the largest online seller? ›
Amazon.com is leading the global e-commerce market, with a revenue of US$131,019 million in 2021 worldwide, followed by jd.com with US$118,515 million. Third place is taken by apple.com with a revenue of US$51,950 million.Which country is No 1 in e-commerce? ›
1. China. China is the world's biggest e-commerce market, led by e-commerce subsidiaries of the Alibaba group – Taobao, Alibaba.com and Tmall. With an annual growth rate of 21%, China is also one of the fastest-growing e-commerce markets.Which country is best for ecommerce? ›
The countries with the highest ecommerce activity are the United Kingdom (87% of the population buys online), Sweden (84%), and Germany and the Netherlands (83%). The fewest opportunities are in Romania, where only 27% of the population makes online purchases.Who is the market leader in e-commerce? ›
|Characteristic||Share of retail e-commerce sales|
Germany is well known for many things. It has a strong economy, it is the birthplace of classical music and philosophy, it has a rich culture, and it is known for its scenic beauty. Additionally, Germany is known for its engineering and automotive industry, as well as its precision manufacturing.What is Germany famous for shopping? ›
1. Schildergasse, Cologne. Considered to be the busiest shopping street in Europe, Cologne's Schildergasse has a long history that dates back to ancient Roman times. Today it is amongst the best places for shopping in Germany with major department stores and fashion outlets like Galeria Kaufhof, Zara, H&M, etc.What is online store in Germany? ›
As many as 94% of Germans actively use the internet, and 83% of them buy something online at least once a year. So, how many people exactly use e-commerce in Germany? With a population of around 84 million people, almost 69 million Germans are shopping online – that's a big market with great opportunities to explore.What do German people buy? ›
In 2021, 41 percent of German consumers mainly bought clothing online instead of offline, making it one of the leading product categories for online shopping. Other leading categories included books, films, music and games; consumer electronics and shoes.
How can I buy things online in Germany? ›
In order to go shopping online you will need to have either a German bank account (for Lastschrift, which is still the most popular payment option in Germany), a German credit card or a PayPal account. Furthermore you will need a German address where your order can be shipped to.What is a B2B marketplace? ›
A B2B marketplace is an online platform that helps businesses to connect with customers in other organizations in order to conduct buying and selling activities. These transactions are usually bulk transactions for large quantities of goods.What are examples of e marketplaces? ›
Companies use online marketplaces to reach customers who want to purchase their products and services. Examples of online marketplaces include Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist.How many types of marketplace are there? ›
There are two types of marketplaces: services marketplaces and product marketplaces. Both are platform businesses connecting customers with third-party producers.Which marketplace is best online or offline? ›
- The Convenience. The main advantage of online retail is its convenience for the consumer. ...
- Cost-Effective. ...
- A Bigger Market. ...
- Diversity of Products. ...
- You Get to Be Open for Business 24/7.
A marketplace is a place for multiple buyers and sellers to meet and conduct business, while an ecommerce platform is a software program that hosts your online store.How do I start my own marketplace? ›
- Find a great marketplace idea and validate it.
- Choose your marketplace business model and pricing level.
- Build your Minimum Viable Platform (your marketplace MVP).
- Build your initial supply.
- Launch your marketplace to the first customers.
- Track your key metrics and grow your business.
You could probably correctly guess that Amazon Business would be a great example of a B2B horizontal marketplace. The company sells everything from office supplies to IT products, industrial supplies, and wholesale purchasing. And it doesn't pigeonhole itself in any one industry — it's a jack of all products.What is the difference between P2P and C2C? ›
How Does C2C Differ From P2P? C2C stands for customer-to-customer; P2P stands for peer-to-peer. Both concepts involve consumers or individuals dealing with one another. The main difference is that with C2C, there is a company or other third party in between the buyer and the seller (or sender and receiver).What is C2A e commerce with example? ›
It provides an easy way to establish communication between the consumers and the government. Examples of C2A include taxes (filing tax returns), health (scheduling an appointment using an online service), and paying tuition for higher education.
What platform sells the most? ›
- Facebook Marketplace.
- Amazon Best Sellers.
- Amazon Most Wished For.
- Amazon Movers & Shakers.
- Etsy Most wanted.
- Etsy Best selling items.
- Etsy Most popular item.
- Trending on eBay.
- Popular on Kickstarter.
Amazon. With over 6 million marketplace sellers and more than 214 million U.S. shoppers per month, Amazon is the largest ecommerce marketplace in the United States and one of the top-selling sites for vendors of every stripe.What is the most sold item in the world? ›
The most sold item in the world is clothing and fashion items. This ranges from women and men's outfits to children's clothing, shoes, accessories, and more. People love their clothes, and fashion isn't going anywhere!What is the best free selling platform? ›
- WooCommerce. WooCommerce is the world's most popular eCommerce plugin for WordPress. ...
- Web.com Website Builder. ...
- BuyNow Plus. ...
- BigCommerce. ...
- Shopify. ...
- Weebly. ...
- Big Cartel.
Amazon.com is leading the U.S. e-commerce market, with e-commerce net sales of US$125,844 million in 2021 generated in the U.S., followed by walmart.com with US$46,446 million. Third place is taken by apple.com with revenues of US$25,862 million.Who are the 5 largest e-commerce companies in the world? ›
- Amazon US.
- eBay US.
- Amazon Japan.
- Rakuten Japan.
- Amazon Germany.
- Amazon UK.
- Amazon India.
As is the case with Amazon, German consumers place a lot of trust in eBay. The online marketplace is one of the pioneers in this field and is known to almost every online shopper. In addition, eBay also has a high monthly number of visitors.How popular is eBay in Germany? ›
Amazon.de accounted for more than 52 percent of desktop visits to marketplaces, followed by rival ebay.de with just over 23 percent of visits.
What products are in high demand in Germany? ›
Popular product categories
Among top products purchased by German online buyers are clothing/footwear, books, home electronics, CDs and films/DVDs.
eBay began offering managed payments on its platform in the U.S. with a select group of eligible sellers in September 2018. Germany is now the second country to introduce the new experience. The company onboarded the first German sellers over the past few days.What is the German version of Amazon? ›
Amazon.com: amazon.de deutschland.Where can I sell things online in Germany? ›
- Kaufland.de. Kaufland.de is a combination of high brand awareness and state-of-the-art platform technology. ...
- Amazon Germany. The well-known sales platform is also available in Germany. ...
- Yatego. Yatego is often called an online shopping mall. ...
- Etsy Germany. ...
- Booking.com Germany. ...
- Zalando. ...
- eBay. ...
- eBay Kleinzeigen.
In order to go shopping online you will need to have either a German bank account (for Lastschrift, which is still the most popular payment option in Germany), a German credit card or a PayPal account. Furthermore you will need a German address where your order can be shipped to.Who owns eBay country? ›
eBay Inc. (/ˈiːbeɪ/ EE-bay) is an American multinational e-commerce company based in San Jose, California, that facilitates consumer-to-consumer and business-to-consumer sales through its website. eBay was founded by Pierre Omidyar in 1995 and became a notable success story of the dot-com bubble.How much market share does Amazon have in Germany? ›
The best employer in Germany
Amazon is one of the most prominent players in the market. Its immense popularity in Germany is reflected by the fact that it has a user share of 83%, far ahead of any competition.
- Electronics Engineer.
- Computer Science, IT professionals and Software Developers.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Account Managers / Business analysts.
- Civil Engineer / Architecht.
Cost of living in Berlin
Despite being the capital, Berlin is one of Germany's cheapest cities. Rental prices vary massively, but as a rule of thumb, the west remains much more expensive than the east. You can rent a one-bed flat in Berlin for €00 upwards.
- Researchers in Biotechnology and Neuroscience. ...
- Surgeons and doctors. ...
- Judges. ...
- Bank managers. ...
- Director of Finance. ...
- Tourism and hospitality professionals. ...
- Engineering professions. ...
- Sales managers.
What is the German version of Etsy? ›
Real.de. Formally known as Hitmeister, Real.de is one of the leading sites in Germany, selling everything from electronics, right through to clothing, accessories and DIY products.How can I get products from Germany? ›
- Ensure Desired Goods Are Permitted Into Your Country. ...
- Find Your Supplier And Place Your Order. ...
- Gather The Necessary Paperwork. ...
- Pay For Your Goods. ...
- Arrange The Transport Of Your Goods. ...
- Obtain Your Shipment.
Facebook Marketplace will be available in Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.